Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Bonds Between Girlfriends

Well, the dark days of Advent have come and now have retreated back into the shadow side of my psyche and I am able to move on in anticipation. We are all in this excessive, almost hypnotic state of anticipation for the coming and the return of our Lord. And that’s good for Advent. It’s where we should be. It’s where our minds ought to be, as followers of Jesus Christ. But I am in an even more laborious state of anticipation, and some of you might be as well.

My nephew is in the process of being born. Right now at this moment (Nov. 15th 9:49am) he is being born, and my family and I are 500 miles away. This is a particularly tense time, not only for my brother and his wife, but for my wife as well. Her very best friend in the whole world is the one who is bearing our nephew, and she can’t breach the distance to be there at her side. To talk her through the labor pains. To make her laugh like Julia Roberts. To give everyone mints. To rub her back. To share that smile of confidence and the look of knowing. To give her that peace of mind assurance of spirit. To know without asking, that all she really wants is a slice of pizza. And this is all driving her crazy, and with good reason. You see, the bonds between girlfriends are great.

And myself? I just can't wait to welcome and hold my new nephew!

1 comment:

  1. I keep thinking about the massage people who thought "girlfriends with the same last name must be married..cool"
    We need a new word for this definition.

    AnotherHalfBrain/HeartTrancendentSheMartynSister

    ReplyDelete